Wednesday’s Women’s Hour 10:00-11:00 am Join Central’s midweek-morning hour of inspiration and enlightenment with Rebbetzin Naomi Lerer, Rebbetzin Jacqueline Feldman and guest speakers. 10 March Now that’s a…
CONNECTteen – Bar/Bat Mitzvah Programme 2015
This year we launch a really exciting and innovative programme, specifically aimed at young people in years 7 and 8 in the run up to their bar/bat mitzvah, to provide a really good, practical grounding in all aspects of what it means to be a Jew.
Sessions will be held once a month on Sundays (10am-1pm), and as a joint venture between our Central, New West End and Western Marble Arch Synagogues, we will vary the venues so that each Synagogue has a chance to host.
Every session will be hands on and not just sitting and learning and will be split into parts. Sample modules include:
Siddur Sat Nav: designed to enable your child to navigate around the prayer book and be comfortable enough to walk into Shul on any day and know how to find the place and meaning behind key prayers.
Movies and Morals: This session will interactively engage participant with various themes and issues of moral dilemmas. Using topical TV Shows and movies, ethical questions will be raised and discussed.
- Challah Baking and a Trip to a Kosher Bakery – 11th October 2015
- How to put on Tefillin (boys) and Candle Lighting and other (girls) – 8th November 2015
- Challenges facing Jews today (example: creation vs evolution and other such topics) – 6th December
- Learning about the Holocaust and anti-semitism with a survivor and guide at the Imperial War Museum – 17th January 2016
- Kashrut and visit – 7th February 2016
- Giving charity with a visit to a homeless shelter and food packing – 20th March 2016
- Trip to the British Museum to see how the Bible fits in with famous artefacts found – looking specifically at Egypt and Pesach – 17th April 2016
- Israel advocacy – Understanding the Israeli situation and being able to defend our position. Learning about Israel’s history and the different wars – 8th May 2016
- Shabbat – learn about the do’s and don’ts of Shabbat and spend a whole Shabbat with us – 5th June 2016
- Graduation Meal and Party at Kosher Restaurant and certificate ceremony – 10th July 2016
Besides the teaching involvement of our own Rabbi and Chazan to ensure we really get to meet our new Bar/Bat Mitzvah kids and make them feel at home when they visit Shul on a Shabbat, we will have other great speakers and organisations involved to provide a full spectrum of education.
We haven’t finalised the cost but do need a commitment to the whole course to make it a success and worthwhile for your kids.
We will have kids from both Jewish and non – Jewish schools attending and the material chosen will be broad enough to satisfy all attendees.
Please do contact the office on 020 7580 1355 to register your interest or if you have any queries.